Important information to collect after a truck accident:
- The license plate of the truck and any other identifying information (make/model)
- The truck driver’s license number and employer
- Names and addresses of drivers/passengers
- Insurance company information and policy number
- Names, phone numbers and addresses of any witnesses
- If you are able, take photos of the accident scene and damage with your smartphone. This could serve as important evidence. You may even want to record an audio account of what happened but don’t admit or assume fault for the collision. Be sure to get a copy of the accident report when it’s available.
In most situations, you’ll want to seek legal help as soon as possible. Because truck accidents are more complex than other auto accidents, be sure to find an experienced attorney who specializes in truck accident lawsuits.